Reply by Freedom Steel

The claims in this post are false and Freedom Steel has no knowledge of who this customer is. If you are in fact a Freedom Steel customer please contact our customer service department at 1-800-630-2846 and we will make sure to resolve any outstanding issues you have.

Freedom Steel Customer Service
Author's

DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR MONEY.

FREEDOM STEEL of Del Ray Florida, and operating websites claiming offices in every state from Illinois to Ohio to Oregon and Canada, is a COMPANY TO AVOID at all costs!!! They are in Chapter 11 BANKRUPTCY!! You have no protection if you send them any money, and in my case, they didn't ever deliver what was promised on time or accurately. If you complain, they will threaten to sue you. The reviewer who wrote about blueprint errors and incomplete delivery of parts is absolutely correct!! That's what happened to me. If you don't get your building on time as promised, and want a refund, they will REFUSE and keep almost all of your money. PLEASE GO TO A MORE REPUTABLE STEEL COMPANY!!! Save yourself the heartache and financial losses I have experienced.

BY THE WAY, Their testimonials are BOGUS as far as I'm concerned. Or, maybe to avoid getting in hot water with the Florida COURT and bankruptcy TRUSTEE, they've opened up multiple other steel companies with different names, all the better to hide from their debts. What do you think!????

It's funny how IDENTICAL testimonials, word for word, with the same supposed customer posted on the Freedom Steel website are also posted on at least two other steel building companies websites including Safeway Steel and Powerbilt Steel. (Saved the screenshots too, in case the companies take them off). DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR MONEY.

Comments

Chicago, Illinois, United States #731143

I will make this short and sweet. Freedom steel is a scam.

The owner Sean Hackner and his brother michael hackner and bianca hackner morabito are liars crooks and bullshitters. They send out bogus press releases about their so called satisfied customers and repeat customers.

Stay away from anything out of florida where its all buyer beware and companoes like freedom steel will get your money give you squat and just *** over. My opinion: don't buy from freedom steel unless you want to lose your hard earned money and get a low quality poorly made piece of *** with all the bolt holes wrong, missing pieces, if your steel even shows up at all!!!!

I purchased my first steel building from a Freedom Steel salesman named Milton; I believe back in 2004 (its been a while). The building was a 24x60 with 14 eaves and 4:12 pitch with 4 10'x10' doors, man door and full insulation. Milton was very patient and helped me add and remove items from the original quote until the building was at a price that I could afford. I believe the original design was close to $34k and I think when all was said and done, I think I paid around $14-$17k for it. Milton was very open and told me what options would add to or lower the cost of the building.

I paid my deposit and all was good up until it was time to deliver my building. Milton called me and stated that the company was adding a fuel surcharge to cover the spike in gas prices at the time. I believe the fuel surcharge was about $450. I complained and eventually Milton told me that he had made a mistake in my pricing and had given me the building at a lower cost than he was supposed to and his management was putting heat on him to recoup it; thus the additional fuel surcharge. Milton had told me in one of our earlier conversations that his wife was not doing well and I believe Milton himself was going through mouth cancer (if my memory is correct). I was aware that he had knocked off a lot of the original price, so I went ahead and paid the fuel surcharge instead of giving Milton a hard time. Yes, I believe Milton was being totally honest with me. Again, no problems with delivery, no problems with missing parts; overall a great experience and a great price.

Due to a myriad of reasons, I was not able to erect my building right away and a couple of months went by. I called Milton to ask a question about the erection process and the company told me he no longer worked for them; (which made me wonder if they let Milton go for selling the buildings too low). They transferred me to the Engineer who was very helpful. Over the course of building the garage, the Engineer would always answer my questions within a few days; not as quick as I would have liked considering all work was stopped while I waited on a response, but overall pleased.

A few years later, I called to inquire about a second larger Freedom Steel building that I wanted to build. I was considering a 40x100 or 60x100. Milton's old number was now answered by a salesman Perry Tabrizi. Within minutes of speaking with Perry Tabrizi, he was rude and condescending, making comments like "call back when you have the money for a building" and "we don't give detailed quotes to people who are not serious about buying a building". I asked for the owner of the company and he refused to provide the name and number and hung up on me. I called the secretary and was given the name, phone number and email of the the company president. I have no way of knowing if the man that returned my call was truly the president, but he did apologize profusely and stated that is not how his employees are supposed to treat customers. He offered me a significant discount on my next purchase, I believe 15%, but I told him that I was just shopping around at the time.

Incredibly, just a month or so later, Perry Tabrizi made a sales call to me, totally forgetting who I was and forgetting that he was so rude to me the first time we spoke. I let him give his sales pitch and then I reminded him who I was and I told him that I was still looking to purchase a steel building from Freedom Steel, but I did not want him as my salesman and I asked to be transferred to another salesperson. He said he was the only salesperson there. I asked to speak to the president (and called him by name) and Perry hung up on me again. I emailed the president this time and said it would be doubtful that I would purchase from Freedom Steel because whatever "punishment" they gave Perry Tabrizi the first time had failed and he was still as pushy and rude as before.

So in summary, I loved my first experience with Freedom Steel when they had Milton as a salesman. Reading these posts and based on my personal experience, it seems they've gone downhill since replacing Milton with Perry Tabrizi. I am astonished that Perry Tabrizi is still with the company considering I personally complained about his rudeness to the company president twice.

Billings, Montana, United States #694210

Had Freedom steel steal 30% of their money when freedom steel couldn't keep their promises. !!!! Thats what it should say ...how many thousands of dollars have they stolen from unhappy customers.

Billings, Montana, United States #694206

Freedom Steel keeps ranking these complaints as bull****. Guess the company can't stand the FIRST AMENDMENT right to FREE speech. Face it folks, people who have been scammes by you are going to use the internet to fight back against people like you who steal their money and rip them off with faulty product, broken delivery promises and lost money.

Theres a whole private newsgroup and website devoted to the 77+ and counting unsatisfied people who made the terrible mistake of giving this company money. And I tell you, no I VOW to you, we will keep sharing our stories the same way the unhappy general steel customers do. We are actively recruiting more horror stories to spread the word about del ray florida freedom steel building complaints !!!!!

Freedom Steel better look at their books and start returning ALL funds to each and every customer who sent them money and either didnt get it back, or had Freedom Steel *** 30% of their money when contraxts got cancelled due to freedom steels lack of ability to perform to their contractual obligations!!!!

Word gets around about slimeball companies.

Aurora, Missouri, United States #694198

Freedom Steel is NOT a steel supplier or manufacturer. They are a DEALER. Learn from my mistake. I sent this scam company Freedom Steel a deposit and got no product!!! The better business bureao is a joke they have more than 9 complaints and they have no legal power to enforce contracts.

Freedom Steel bought and paid for their fake bogus A+ rating. I called the Florida attorney general's office and have been advised there are more than 26 complaints about this so-called "reputable" business.

I will tell anyone I meet DONT BUY FROM FREEDOM STEEL!!!!! I'm not a competitor just an ordinary former customer who despite repeatedly contacting this company, lost thousands of dollars that freedom steel never returned. I think they are liars and *** artists with thousands of dollars in debt to credit card companies, banks, former customers, finance companies and even the power company!!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, United States #683992

I checked out this company freedom steel and considered buying from them. Until I read the testimonials on their websitr and in the course of researching other steel companies found suspicious testimonials that were word for word from other websites!!!

I found dozens of complaints that this company is bankrupt and I decided to go somewhere else to buy my steel!!!!! Better safe than sorry.

to luzo #690727

Anyone can post Anything about Anybody on these websites including situations that we know nothing about.

The reason the Better Business Bureau (BBB) does not have these complaints listed is because they check into all of them first.

Freedom Steel has maintained its A+ Rating with the BBB over the past 12 years by ensuring that customers expectations are always exceeded.

Websites like this are basically a sounding board for anyone that wants to post anything, true or not, even if it is a competitor simply trying to deter business their way when they cannot win it on their own merits.

True, Freedom Steel did enter a Chapter 11 filing in 2012 resulting from a poor real estate investment within our Property Division.

However, we have been approved by the courts and since then exited as well as remain in the black as a business; and are up to date with all of our vendors. Freedom Steel has emerged stronger and larger allowing us to maintain our stellar reputation without interruption.

Because we do not have you in our records as a customer, please call, email or come and see us so we can address your concern –

Bianca Morabito

bianca@freedomsteel.com

1-800-630-2846 Ext 255

If a resolution to this matter is your intention call us ASAP and we will find an amicable outcome for you.

Thank you!

to Freedom Steel Rep Denver City, Texas, United States #694188

It doesnt appear Freedom Steel does have a stellar reputation, and this moral preaching and rant about consumer review sites from a company rep sounds sanctimonius, pious, and entirely self-serving. Yes, anyone can post anything including unhappy customers who want others to know where they decide to spen their hard earned money.

Great companies don't have 20+ complaints about them.

Sounds like buying from Freedom Steel is a "poor real estate investment".

After reading all these comments and the company reply, "oh this is just a competitor who wants to ruin our business" blah blah blah what a bunch of farfetched garbage, its not worth the risk. I'm going to buy from a company not in Florida, the fly-by-night snake salesman (or woman) capital of the states.

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada #650686

Freedom steel, what a terrible outfit. They seem to be a shell company with dozens of other steel companies they run under different names probably so the bankruptcy trustee doesnt get wise to how they operate while in bankruptcy.

This place is run by the hackner family little wonder they have no photos of themselves on their website after reading more reviews.

Their salesguy was slimy and pushy from the get go, wanted a deposit before even giving the quote, to avoid tire kickees they said. Well this tore kicker wanting to spend $45, 000 on a steel building is buying from an outfit on canada!!!!

I am in the market for a steel building. I called the Florida attorney general and it was confirmed that 1.

Freedom Steel in Del Ray Florida is in bankruptcy protection and 2. The attorney general has received more than 24 complaints about this company. 3.

Freedom Steel is not a manufacturer as their material suggests, they are a broker. I'm buying from someone with a real plant and a good reputation!!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States #643108

I heard of some funny stuff before but these morons take the cake. I called for a quote on a building and by some strange miracle was transferred to thier production plant.

Then it gets funnier as I am talking to the guy a tape recorder is obviously playing sounds of noise from a plant. The tape breaks as the guy tries to close the door but he dropped the recorder before he could close the door. As he stumbles around to cover up I asked what happened to the plant noise he said he shut the door.

When asked to open the door so I could hear the noise again I could hear him running out of breath trying to pick up the recorder!!!!! What a bunch of fools!!!!

Don't fulfil order after they receive payment

Anyone interested in a metal building needs to deal directly with the supplier. Go to the plant see the operation in your state. My best advise is to stay out of Florida completely. If you want to go to the beach South Carolina, Alabama, North Carolina or even Georgia just stay out of Florida. Everything that comes from that state seams to be tainted.

The law means nothing if you are from out of state. The reason that crooks go to *Florida* is there is no extradition laws. So if you commit a crime in any state and go to Florida it is near impossible to get you out of there. Leave the state alone. buy nothing from there no oranges nothing. I too was taken by these people and still am in disbelief that someone can scam this kind of money and get away with it.

Beware of any steel building deals out of florida!!

I made mistake of ordering a metal building from a company called UNITED STEEL BUILDINGS out of Florida.They are nothing but crooks and thieves. Ive heard they have reopened under a new name.

I THINK ITS FREEDOM STEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEWARE if your scammed by company in Florida noone in law enforcement or Government will help you.

You can google United steel building scam and find out info from lots of others.

It cost me $17,500.00 hopefully this will help someone avoid same.By the way if anyone has idea of heading down that way to say get satisfaction from this company I will help. its a family business.

to chris mcbride #633192

I was looking for a steel building for my acreage and I have been doing a lot of looking. I seem to find a lot of negatives about a lot of steel companies.

I am not sure if this a problem all over or just in certain states. I am going to still do some research.

It seems like a road trip to this place may need a bus if everyone wanted to go. lol

#631977

Feb 6, 2007 10:26AM CST When we ever get done with our ongoing saga with Freedom Steel I will list all the issued we have had with them, including unauthorized withdrawal of funds from escrow, design error, blueprint problem, design of improper wall styles, door inserts constructed in wrong place, incomplete delivery of all parts. We are still waiting for our doors to be delivered since last November but of course Freedom has withdrawn all funds from escrow.

Don't want to say too much yet as we are trying to solve. just know this NEVER EVER DEAL WITH FREEDOM STEEL my opinion.

#631974

Posted on Tuesday, February 6th, 2007 at 11:26pm CST by 4bbb8929

Me Too!

Company: complaint

Category: Other

I purchased a steel building from Freedom Steel in October of 2005. After filing an initial complaint with the BBB regarding contract issues, the company reached an agreement with me provided that I remove my BBB complaint. Now, a year later once construction has begun on the building, I contacted Freedom Steel to explain that there were some pieces missing. They stated that since time had elapsed, there was nothing they could do. I am missing 3 pieces of steel that form the roof cap for my building, and the company is trying to tell me that I would have to pay $350 for pieces that are missing. They said I should have inventoried items when delivered in February of 2006, but I reiterated to them that this was not possible since everything was already banded together when I received it, and I didn't know how many pieces I would need anyway. I had never built a steel building before, and I was misled when I purchased it by Mr. Perry Tabrizi of Freedom Steel about how simple these building were to install. The reason the building took so long (it was in storage) to construct was due to the length of time it took to obtain the proper permits to construct it. I cannot help the fact that the permitting took a long time (I had to apply to the state for flood permit status) but this does not negate the fact that Freedom Steel shorted me three pieces of steel, and I am rightfully entitled to those pieces without further payment. The company (Bianca Hackner to be specific) stated that her company had no knowledge of whether someone had walked onto the jobsite and stolen the mentioned pieces. I reiterated to her that the building was in storage and that all steel was still bundled in the exact same fashion that it was delivered in, so that this was not possible. Ms. Hackner seems to believe that it is impossible for her staff to have made a mistake and short-changed me in this transaction. I disagree.

FREEDOM STEEL BUILDING CORPORATION IS A SORRY EXCUSE FOR A BUSINESS IN MY HONEST OPINION. I would NEVER do business with Freedom Steel ever again, and I would HIGHLY recommend that if you value customer service and respect as a human being, that you would follow my lead on this one and avoid Freedom Steel at any cost.

Like Our Site? Follow Us!

Like this page? Share it!

9 Comments

7a86eab7, 2008-07-12, 05:18PM CDT

Without going into too many details about this client, I'd like to refer to a couple of procedural items and examples to provide a fair basis and allow the readers to come to their own conclusions. I can also post numerous testimonials proving consistency on my personal, as well as on Freedom Steel's behalf.

At every delivery, the client goes through the entire inventory with the truck driver prior to signing off and then proceeds to unload the materials. The client has seven (7) full days to report any missing items that are considered visible and large; and thirty (30) days to report the smaller, less visible items that are packaged further. As to his claims that "I didn't know how many pieces I would need anyway", this is merely an excuse of anyone that does not want to take responsibility for their own actions, as we provide a full inventory list, which is the one he went through and signed off on. This is the same list that every single client receives (several 100 clients per month...) and they do not seem to have a problem... This client never mentioned a word about any missing items until almost a year later!!! Obtaining permits remains every client's responsibility as does his/her choice of the method of storage.

I have a client who purchased seven buildings for Alaska, and after they picked up the more than 22 truck loads of steel and accessories in Seattle using their own trucks, they called and stated that over $40,000 worth of insulation (which they signed off on) was missing! It took them an additional 12 days to realize that their own contractors had placed the insulation on a different lot. This is after the client had his attorney send us a threatening letter asking for another $40,000 of insulation! Enough said. I would highly recommend that this client starts taking responsibility for his own lack of organization, instead of making unwarranted accusations which are in fact defamatory of myself and Freedom Steel. As a company we remain one of only two companies in this entire industry that has been awarded a GSA number in the last 50 years. If the above "complaint" was our standard practice, we would have never been in the wonderful position in which we find ourselves today. Do we have occasional mishaps in fabrication? ABSOLUTELY! However, should we ever be at fault for any issue whatsoever, we always take care of them and are well known to do so. Out of thousands of buildings sold, we have only had about a dozen reports with the BBB, all of which were completely resolved.

Thank you for taking the time to read this response.

2e84d289, 2008-07-23, 02:38PM CDT

I to had a bad experience with Freedom Steel. They wanted additional money from me. To make a long story short, they have $13,512.00 of mine they they refuse to refund. You can email me ifyou want the specifics. But my advise would be BEWARE.

2e84d289, 2008-07-23, 02:39PM CDT

8e5740f6, 2010-03-25, 10:36AM CDT

Beware of Freedom Steel.

They called me to fix a serious problem they had on a building.

I dropped everything, called all my contacts in the construction industry, and sold the "huge problem" in seven days for them, at very close to full price. They pocketed the poor fellow's 40% deposit PLUS almost full retail and then when i asked for a few points to cover all the costs i experienced in cleaning up this mess for them, they said "absolutely no comission payable".It wasn't discussed before the work was done.

I have always worked on a best efforts/negotiated compensation basis.

Not anymore. Careful, very careful. I won't work anywhere near them again.

b7df5080, 2011-05-30, 04:31PM CDT

I ordel and paid for in FULL last sept the build was to beliverd in Dec 10 it did not come till end of march and only 60% of itand at the end of MAY still waiting for insulation and doors and Freedom steel will not return my calls

Look at some other steel building Freedom is not a good one

T K

7f516c7a, 2012-02-12, 10:26AM CST

When we ever get done with our ongoing saga with Freedom Steel I will list all the issued we have had with them, including unauthorized withdrawal of funds from escrow, design error, blueprint problem, design of improper wall styles, door inserts constructed in wrong place, incomplete delivery of all parts. We are still waiting for our doors to be delivered since last November but of course Freedom has withdrawn all funds from escrow. Don't want to say too much yet as we are trying to solve. just know this NEVER EVER DEAL WITH FREEDOM STEEL

c8c85fad, 2012-08-08, 10:05AM CDT

I would like to know if anyone has resolved their issues with Freedom Steel as I am currently having major issues with them. Your response would be appreciated.

2013-03-12, 09:35AM CDT

Wow, we were about to spend a lot of money on a building with Freedom Steel. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Does anyone have a better recommendation?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada #631072

I am a news reporter planning a series on customers who feel they have been taken advantage of by construction related industries on the internet. So far I have had a number of tips about steel building companies in particular and it seems some may have questionable business practices.

Your story is of interest to me and I would really like more details.

Also, I would welcome anyone who wants to share their experiences in a confidential manner contact me as soon as possible via email to investigativereporter@gmail.com. Your story is guaranteed to be kept confidential- if you do not want your name used.

Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States #628171

Freedom Steel delivered our building which we ordered last year and there trucks were an hour late. We called them and there were extremely apologetic and they reimbursed me for the forklift we rented as well as the workers that were working. We also received an apology letter from the CEO apologizing and a $50 gift card. I would do business with them again and recommend them to anyone.

When I started looking for a steel building I received quotes from about 10 buildings companies. And I wasn’t sure which company to deal with however with Freedom Steel they gave me all the information I needed including three sets of stamped drawings. They didn’t put the door were I wanted so they went back and changed it for me and sent me out new drawings. I would recommend them to anyone and not sure what the above guy is saying because in Freedom Steel’s response it says he received new drawings.

to Satisfied Customer Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada #631066

Is this satisfied customer really an employee of freedom steel?? I sure wouldnt be gicing them a great review if they didnt get a door right in blueprints and had to send new drawings.

Not even for a gift certidficate. Why would you know what the first reviewer was saying, its not like you personally know her or him yah this so called testominial sounds a but far fetched. It wasnt MY experience with his company.

Their salesguy didnt even want to give me a quuote before I signed a contract!!! No way im not dealing with a place that wants money before quoting.

I too ordered a building from Freedom Steel and they got the drawings wrong and didn't keep their word with any of their delivery promises. I lost time and money because they were unreliable and held me up with my building plans.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone I know.

comments